Merkur Cooperative Bank is a Danish values based bank that combines classical banking with a vision of a sustainable society. In order to move towards a sustainable society we have lending criteria that include environmental, social and ethical aspects in addition to financial considerations.
Our main objectives are:
- to give and facilitate financial advice and financing to profit making enterprises within sustainable production and not-for-profit institutions and associations within cultural and social fields.
- to lend to and arrange mortgages for individual customers and to provide these customers with financial services that reflect our vison of a sustainable society.
The main part of Merkur Cooperative Bank´s combined loans are in the environmentally oriented businesses as well as in social and cultural sectors.
Transparency is key. Therefore, you can see all our lending business and not–for profit clients on a map with a small description for each, at www.minepengegørgavn.dk (“my money does good”). The site is in Danish only.
The first steps towards the founding of Merkur Cooperative Bank were taken in 1982 with the forming of a credit and loan association. In 1985 Merkur merged with another independent initiative to form the Co-op Bank, and received a banking license. Merkur opened its first office in Aalborg in 1985. In 1992 it established a branch in Copenhagen (which became head office in 2004) and is nowadays present in the four major cities of Denmark.
Market focus, products and services
Merkur provides a full range of financial services, including savings and current accounts (available with Visa and/or debit cards), payment services, online banking, pension schemes as well as impact investment and socially responsible investment products – the latter in collaboration with Triodos Bank.
Furthermore, Merkur has established two separate entities:
The Merkur Foundation is an instrument to work with gifts and donations in a manner equivalent to how the cooperative bank works with deposits and loans.
Merkur Development Loans Ltd’s aim is to give loans to SMEs and cooperatives in developing countries in order to promote sustainability and provide financing on fair conditions.
Cooperation with other INAISE members
- Merkur cooperates with the Scandinavian colleagues Cultura (Norway) and Ekobanken (Sweden), i.a. on financing of bigger projects in Norway and Sweden.
- Merkur cooperates with the Triodos Group in the investment field. Merkur provides an opportunity for Danish customers to invest in several of Triodos Investment Managements SRI funds and impact investment funds. Triodos is also involved in financing of bigger Danish projects.
- Merkur cooperates with GLS Bank, Germany, on financing of bigger Danish projects.
- Merkur is a co-founder of Institute for Social Banking and the Global Alliance for Banking on Values.
For key figures please visit our website where you will find the latest annual report.
Pays : Denmark
Type de membre : Adhésion complète
Type d'organisation : Bank
Site web : http://www.merkur.dk/